Light and fluffy muffins bursting with fresh blueberry flavor, and a recipe so quick and simple that kids can make it? My Easy Blueberry Muffins check all of these boxes which is why this sweet breakfast treat is a favorite in our home.
Why Make Easy Blueberry Muffins?
Ok. I know there is science behind baking. It’s not as forgiving as cooking. I know keeping wet ingredients separate from dry ingredients and in specific sized bowls to the side is important. I know that you don’t want to oversaturate the mixture or cause it to clump. Or for the ingredients to not mix properly causing the entire recipe to implode. I know. But, I also know that I am a busy Mama with a zillion balls in the air, and I only have a few precious minutes to spend on whipping up a sweet treat for my family. I also know that my 3 year old will want to help me, so I need to find a way to make baking an simple, foolproof activity without a lot of technical steps.
Thus, I created my Easy Blueberry Muffin recipe. It’s quick and easy, uses mostly pantry staple ingredients, and the muffins come out moist and delicious every time. And best of all, I only use one bowl.
Anytime we have extra blueberries that need to be eaten up, I whip up a batch of these to have a for breakfast or snacks for the next few days. I would much rather have my kids snacking on a homemade baked good stuffed with fresh fruit, than some pre-packaged snack they find lurking in the cupboards.
This is also my go to recipe to bring when whenever we are visiting a friend’s home or cabin for the weekend. Its always a crowd pleaser. Also good to bring for gifts are Easy Lemon Raspberry Muffins or Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips.
What Will You Need?
- butter, softened
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- sanding sugar (larger, course sugar crystals for the muffin tops)
How to Make Easy Blueberry Muffins
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together the softened butter and the sugar.
Add milk and mix on low so it doesn’t splash out of bowl.
Add the flour 1/2 cup at a time and mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure that it is all getting mixed into the batter.
Mix in egg and vanilla, salt and baking powder.
Take a small amount of flour (approx 1/2 tsp) and sprinkle it over the blueberries. Give them a good stir to coat all of the berries in flour. This will prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins while they bake.
Scoop the batter into the muffin cups and sprinkle the tops of them with the sanding sugar.
Fill the unused cup about 1/3 of the way with water. This will help the muffins bake evenly.
Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
Cool on a baking rack before serving.
How To Store Easy Blueberry Muffins
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Can You Freeze Muffins?
You bet! These muffins will last up to three months in the freezer. Store them in a ziplock bag and try to get as much air out of it as possible before you seal it. When you are ready to eat them, simply leave them out on the counter to come to room temperate, and then reheat in the microwave for a few seconds.
Can Muffins be Given as Gifts?
Absolutely! Edible gifts are my favorite gifts to give. Giving a gift that you have made yourself always means more than something store bought. It means that you thought about something that person would like, and spent your own time and energy creating it for them. If that edible gift happens to be a sweet treat, even better!
I like using bakery boxes like these when I gift muffins. These hold 4 muffins each and they look darling with a fun ribbon and gift tag.
If I am gifting just one muffin at a time, I like to use a classic Chinese food takeout container like this. I line it with cute tissue paper and place a single muffin inside. Then I tie a ribbon and a gift tag on the handle.
Just tell people to transfer them to an airtight container to keep the muffins moist if they are not going to eat them for a day or two.
Easy Blueberry Muffins
- 1 muffin tin
- 11 muffin liners
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t flour
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 T course or granulated sugar (sanding sugar)
- Using a mixer, cream together softened 1/3 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and mix on low speed.
- Add the 1 1/2 cups of flour a little at a time and mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure that it is all getting mixed into the batter.
- Add 1 egg, 2t vanilla extract, 1/4t salt, 2t baking powder and mix.
- Toss the remaining 1/2t of flour abd the 1 cup of blueberries in a bowl. Make sure to coat the berries in the flour as this will prevnt them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins while they bake.
- Using a spoon or a spatula, hand stir the berries into the batter.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners. This recipe makes 8 large muffins or 11-12 smaller muffins.
- Scoop batter into each tin and sprinkle the tops of them with the sanding sugar.
- If you are making larger muffins, fill the unused cups in the muffin tin about 1/3 of the way with water. This will help the muffins bake evenly.
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until muffins are cooked though the center.
- Cool on a baking rack before serving.