Perfect for the warm months, a scoop of this flavorful, herby Dill Chicken Salad with Cashews is perfect for lunch, picnics or to serve at a bridal shower.
Why make Chicken Salad?
When the heat starts to rise outside, its chicken salad season in my house.
I just love the cool, creaminess of a good chicken salad. It’s an easy meal that’s packed with protein to keep me full, and it’s easily portable.
Plus, it’s so versatile. I like that I can that I can enjoy a scoop of it on top a lettuce salad, as a sandwich, or even eat it straight out the bowl with crackers or (let’s be honest), my fork.
What ingredients do you need?
- cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- plain greek yogurt (I use fat free like this one)
- light sour cream (I like this one)
- mayonnaise (I’m a real Hellman’s gal)
- seasoning salt ( I like Lawry’s)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- cashews (halves or pieces like this work best)
- fresh dill
How to make Dill Chicken Salad with Cashews
Start with cooked and shredded chicken. Checkout my easy method to shred chicken here for nice, juicy chicken. You can also grab a store-bought rotisserie chicken and shred that up as well to save time. You will want about 3 cups.
In a large bowl, stir together 1/3 c plain greek yogurt, 1/3 c light sour cream and 1/ 3 c of mayonnaise.
Pro Tip: If you don’t care for greek yogurt, or don’t have any on hand, just double the amount of sour cream.
Sprinkle in 1t seasoning salt, 1t onion powder, 1/2t garlic powder into the creamy mixture. Stir everything to combine.
Stir in the shredded chicken and 1/2 c cashew halves.
Trim 2T of fresh dill off the stem, and stir into chicken salad.
Serve immediately at room temperature, or if you like it extra cold, chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 mins prior to serving.
How to serve Dill Chicken Salad with Cashews
If you are making a sandwich: use a large kaiser roll or a thick, hearty multi-grain bread. Scoop chicken salad onto one half of the bread and top with sliced tomato, and sprouts or shredded lettuce.
If you are making a salad: fill a plate with chopped romaine and mixed greens lettuce. Add cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion and cucumbers, then squeeze lemon juice from a wedge of lemon over top of veggies. Add a generous scoop of chicken salad on top, and finish by sprinkling some additional cashews over the plate.
If I you are serving this chicken salad at a shower or a party: Scoop it into a large serving a bowl lined with lettuce leaves. Garnish the top of the salad with additional fresh trimmed dill and cashews for an elegant presentation.
Allow guests to serve themselves onto small slider rolls. This is a great party food as it can easily be eaten with one hand. Allow guests to top sandwiches with shredded lettuce or arugula.
Serve as a dip: Simply spoon a serving of the chicken salad onto a plate and serve with a side of crackers, mini pita breads or sliced vegetables. I really like the flavor of the Everything But the Bagel Seasoned Crackers from Trader Joe’s or mini pita breads like these or these.
Alternative Ingredient Ideas
Dill not your thing? No problem! Try swapping a few ingredients to give your chicken salad a whole new flavor.
Instead of dill, try fruit like diced apples, grapes or dried cranberries for a sweet kick in your salad.
Instead of cashews, try adding crunch with chopped celery or almond slivers.
Please Leave a Rating and/or Review and Follow Along on Social Media
If you make this recipe, please leave me a star rating and/or review at the bottom of this blog post.
Sign up here if you’d like my recipes latest sent straight to your inbox.
Please tag me in your Instagram photos if you make any of my recipes. It’s so fun to see!
Dill Chicken Salad With Cashews
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large spoon to mix
- 3 cups chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt I use fat free like this one
- 1/3 cup light sour cream I like this one
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise I'm a real Hellman's gal
- 1 t seasoning salt I like
- 1 t onion powder
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 c cashews halves or chopped pieces like this work best
- 2 T dill trimmed off stem
- Start with cooked and shredded chicken. Checkout my easy method to shred chicken here. You can also grab a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store and shred that up as well to save time. You will want about 3 cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1/3 c plain greek yogurt, 1/3 c light sour cream and 1/ 3 c of mayonnaise. Note: If you don't care for greek yogurt, or don't have any on hand, just double the amount of sour cream.
- Sprinkle in 1t seasoning salt, 1t onion powder, 1/2t garlic powder into the creamy mixture. Stir everything to combine.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and 1/2 c cashew halves.
- Trim 2T of fresh dill off the stem and stir into chicken salad.
- Enjoy immediately or if you like it extra cold, chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 mins prior to serving.
- Serve with crackers, mini pitas or veggies. Refer to body of blog post for more serving ideas.